Second Semester: Digital Painting

This was one of the toughest subjects this semester, because I had to learn to do a lot of this in a different way that I used to, and because this is awfully time consuming. Dogan can pinpoint errors too easily, and that didn’t help either.

I will spare you the cube shading and the primitive dropping shadows (because they were really bad, even after I re-did them), and I’ll get down to the first almost decent assignments.

The Caricature Assignment

When I heard of this one, I thought it was going to be a piece of cake, so I started doodling around some celebrities:

But painting caricatures is way harder than doing lineart. My first try was less than stellar:

I had to redo the assignment based on a different drawing:

The Self-Portrait

My first attempt was a disaster, because I had been sleep deprived for a week:

I obviously had to do a new rough for this:

The final version was a nightmare, because we had to do it looking at a mirror, not photo reference, and looking at myself is amusing only for about a minute or two.

The Barbershop

This one was more like a polishing job from the Layout assignment. First, I fixed the tones:

The coloring was really hard because I forgot that adding that much detail would affect the final product.

The Mad Scientist’s Lab

Just like the Barbershop, this was a Layout built for Zub’s class, but that would be a finished product here.

And here’s Tesla:

Bonus

In order to get the character done right, I worked on a sketch I did for a friend and then I never showed her the result until now. Here’s the marvelous Tanya:

Advertisements

Second Semester: Layout

In this new cycle, Layout got much more interesting. There were no ellipses (unless your layout had them, which was bound to happen) and the work involved more creativity than last semester. First up, we had the Barbershop assignment. I went for a late 90’s Harlem barbershop split between sexes:

Then, we had to shade our barbershops, giving them a proper mood (and fix some perspective issues along the way):

Then, we had to color them, but that happened in Digital Painting.

So, next up: The Mad Scientist’s Lab. Zub told us that we had to come up with a mad scientist lab, and five seconds later, I was already sketching mine. It was obvious I had to bring Tesla’s Lab.

In my concept, Tesla would have this kind of 007 “mad science hero” thing going on, so I designed it like a Power Plant/Villain Lair mix.

Once again, this project is supposed to be completed in Digital Painting. However, I had some extra stuff done for this:

These are the sketches for Tesla (Mad scientist, megalomaniac, adventurer, lover):


I also designed eels as his pets, but I had to take them out to raise the platform.

The next assignment was the horizontal pan, which had to be historical. For that, I picked up a book I have since I was young:

It’s the kind of research material that puts any google search to shame. I knew by heart how these houses were built, and I ended up drawing too much roofs. Zub hasn’t returned the final product yet, but I took a picture of most of it (I should’ve scanned it, I know):